CA686 - Foundations of AI
This is a support page for the module
"CA686 - Foundations of AI"
which is on the FutureLearn site.
- MCM - MSc in Computing (Artificial Intelligence)
- Foundations of AI
- 40 practical
- 60 exam
- We assume you can code.
- We do not assume you have seen P5 or Three.js.
- We do not assume you have seen Ancient Brain.
FutureLearn "weeks" and calendar weeks
- FutureLearn assigns 4 "weeks" to each course.
- So FutureLearn assigns 20 "weeks" to the entire module.
- This is done for students doing this course in their own time and not being graded.
- We are doing this course in 12 weeks and are being graded.
You must track the DCU semester.
- So the rule is:
Do 2 FutureLearn "weeks" per week.
Your plan for the 12 week DCU semester should be as follows:
- Introduction to AI
- Calendar week 1: Do FutureLearn weeks 1 and 2.
- Calendar week 2: Do FutureLearn weeks 3 and 4.
- State space Search
- Calendar week 3: Do FutureLearn weeks 1 and 2.
- Calendar week 4: Do FutureLearn weeks 3 and 4.
- Heuristic Search
- Calendar week 5: Do FutureLearn weeks 1 and 2.
- Calendar week 6: Do FutureLearn weeks 3 and 4.
- Machine Evolution
- Calendar week 7: Do FutureLearn weeks 1 and 2.
- Calendar week 8: Do FutureLearn weeks 3 and 4.
- Machine Learning with Neural Networks
- Calendar week 9: Do FutureLearn weeks 1 and 2.
- Calendar week 10: Do FutureLearn weeks 3 and 4.
- Calendar weeks 11-12: Finish reading everything and doing all exercises.
Finish the last practical.
We will be using the
for writing AI programs for this course.
You will pick it up quickly if you can code.
Most of our examples in this course use P5.
Most of the exercises use P5.
Obfuscate your code.
For the exercises for marks, do your editing with the
option turned on.
Then other students cannot understand your code
or copy it.
You can change it to normal after the course.
- Put your student name and number in comments at the top of your code.
- These comments are not visible by other people because you are saving obfuscated.
- When you submit your practical, you need to tell me where it is
on Ancient Brain.
- Tell me the URL of your work on Ancient Brain.
Repeat Practical - August 2020
Do a more detailed version of the A*
Here are the more detailed instructions for the repeat.
These over-ride what is on the FutureLearn site:
Deadline 22 Aug 2020.
Submit by email:
Since we have very few students, we will not use the submission form.
me your write-up. Tell me the URL of your work on Ancient Brain.
3 hour exam (NOT 2 hours).
Repeat Exam - August 2020
Because of Covid, the repeat exam will be online, open-book.
- No multiple choice.
- Otherwise similar.
Answer 3 of the 5 questions.
33 marks each.
1 free mark.
- Exam will go online on exam day. Date TBA.
- Submit answers via email.