CA686 - Foundations of AI
This is a support page for:
- CA686 (normally face to face, but online this year because of Covid)
- CA686I (always online)
- MCM - MSc in Computing (Artificial Intelligence)
- Foundations of AI
- 40 practical
- 60 exam
- 3 hour exam.
- Past exam papers.
Search for "CA686".
There is only one. It started in 2020.
2021 exam will be different:
- Because of Covid this is online. Open book.
Hence there will be no questions that involve just memory.
All questions will involve thinking!
- No multiple choice questions - too easy for open book.
- Answer 4 out of 5 questions.
- For section 1, "Introduction to AI", I will ask some question like
"Is AI possible?" and look for you to write an intelligent short reply.
I will give some sample questions.
- For other sections, the questions will be like 2020.
Except I am aware you can look things up
so the focus will be on thinking, not memory.
- No coding in exam.
3 hours to finish and submit.
FutureLearn "weeks" and calendar weeks
- FutureLearn assigns 4 "weeks" to each course.
- So FutureLearn assigns 20 "weeks" to the entire module.
- The idea is that many FutureLearn courses are done in your own time, whenever, and are never graded.
- We are doing this course in a shorter time and are being graded.
You must track the DCU semester.
- So the rule is:
Do 2 FutureLearn "weeks" per week.
Your plan for the DCU semester should be as follows:
- Introduction to AI
- Calendar week 1: Do FutureLearn weeks 1 and 2.
- Calendar week 2: Do FutureLearn weeks 3 and 4.
- State space Search
- Calendar week 3: Do FutureLearn weeks 1 and 2.
- Calendar week 4: Do FutureLearn weeks 3 and 4.
- Heuristic Search
- Calendar week 5: Do FutureLearn weeks 1 and 2.
- Calendar week 6: Do FutureLearn weeks 3 and 4. 1st practical.
- Machine Learning with Neural Networks
- Calendar week 7: Do FutureLearn weeks 1 and 2.
- Calendar week 8: Do FutureLearn weeks 3 and 4. 2nd practical.
- Machine Evolution
- Calendar week 9: Do FutureLearn weeks 1 and 2.
- Calendar week 10: Do FutureLearn weeks 3 and 4.
- I will give occasional Zoom webinars.
- This is the only thing I use Loop for - to get to the Zoom webinar.
Practicals for marks
There are two practicals for marks. 20 percent of the module each. Total 40 percent of module.