CA170 - Introduction to Operating Systems
Quickest way to find this web page:
Google ca170 dcu
Think about it:
All other ways (starting at the CA site, Googling my name, etc.)
will take much longer to get here.
Just Google module code and DCU and it is the first hit.
- 70 exam - 30 practical
- I do not use Loop. I use my website.
Anything you see on Loop would be old modules.
Category 1 - A resit is available for all components of the module
How to contact me
See How to contact me
About the notes
My notes contain many hyperlinks to background material.
Some students get confused about what is the core course.
The core course is anything that is linked to directly on this front page
All other links are just background material.
Two types of labs:
- For practice:
- No lecture.
- Some quiz or problem to do for practice.
- I will take attendance.
- Sit on your own or in pairs.
- Talk to anyone.
- Tutor and I will help.
- Tutor: Daria Dzendzik
- For marks:
- No lecture.
- Some problem to do for marks.
- If you are absent you get zero.
- Get marked on your own or in pairs.
- You may talk quietly to your partner only.
- Tutors and I will be there. We will not solve it for you. We are there to clarify the problem and mark you.
- Tutors: Daria Dzendzik, Trishen Suresh
How hard is this module?
Here are the 2019 marks:
- 117 students.
- Practical: 73 passed. 44 failed or absent.
38 percent failed
- Exam: 95 passed. 22 failed or absent.
19 percent failed
- 005 - Computer programming, programs, data
- 005.4 - Systems programming and programs