Introduction to Networks
1.1 Uses of Networks
Might be easier to list things they can't
be used for!
- Communication - Email was the 1st
of the Internet
- chat, messaging, social networking
- VoIP, videophone,
- WhatsApp shows all texts migrating to Internet.
- Will all audio/video calls migrate to Internet?
- Access to info and services - Web was the 2nd killer app (1990s)
- text, news, research
- images, flickr.com
- audio, video, music,
streaming radio and TV,
- Communication - email, messaging, videoconferencing,
email mailing lists
- Collaboration - write docs in team,
- Sharing info - stock database,
(may be international internal network)
- Resource sharing - printers, scanners
- Universities - tele-learning
- Hospitals - tele-medicine
- Mobile workers - taxis, fleets, trucks, ships, aircraft, military
- B2B - parts from suppliers -
- Job search
- Virtual reality
- 3D representation of a real city
where you can see the real shops, restaurants, etc.
- Communication - email, chat, discussion groups,
home pages, blogs
- Social networking -
- The Internet has transformed many industries and human activities:
- Music - piracy,
- TV and Movies - piracy,
YouTube gives entirely new environment for TV and Movies
- trailers always available,
old clips, compilations, parodies
(none of these things could exist before).
- New ways to flirt / filter search / chat before meeting.
- Used to have to go to bookies to gamble.
Now you can gamble from home, 24/7/365.
(Not all change is good!)
- Used to be inaccessible.
Like it or not, technology forced this change on the world.
See the failed Communications Decency Act (1996).
- Healthy hobbies.
Genealogy - transformed by access to remote databases.
- Access to services - bank, tax
- B2C - selling online
- buying information - subscriptions, music
- buying objects by post - amazon
- buying tickets - travel, events
- research before buy - cars, houses
- online auctions
- customer support
- C2C - ebay
- Resource sharing - home network - share broadband Internet access
- Home LAN with all devices.
- Family and friends Intranet
- How to navigate:
- follow links in pages
- type in URLs found offline
- search - Google, Bing
- Top 100 most popular websites in Ireland
- Top 500 most popular websites
Nice summary of how the Internet is changing our lives: